This is Bananattack.

Yaks on steroids

Posted by Overkill on May 18, 2009 at 12:37 am under Uncategorized

So I didn’t remember to mention it, but, earlier this month, me and my housemate decided to make games in a little bit of a game making showdown. A horrible, horrible game showdown.

We had a few crazy rules for this competition, just to make things more interesting:

  • Our game had a random title was generated with the Video Game Name Generator. We each got 5 rolls. At each roll, you decided if you’d keep it or not. If you kept it, you stopped rolling. Otherwise, you decided you would not use that name, and took another roll (you couldn’t go back to old names).
  • Someone writes a theme or idea down on paper, and forces you to incorporate that into your game.
  • We had 24 hours to make the game.
  • No previously created code/art could be used (with the exception of code libraries, and premade fonts)
  • We had 30 minutes to brainstorm before the contest actually started, where we knew our idea and could plan, but couldn’t perform real work.

 
 
My friend made Advanced Battleship Mission.
He had to incorporate Cel-shaded Goats somehow.
His game is downloadable here.
You need to protect your battleship from submarines, with the help of your trusty cel-shaded goat advisor!

Controls:
WASD = move
1 = sonar
2 = nukes
3 = mines
mouse = fire cannon.

 
 
I made Maximum Yak Maniac.
My friend was malicious and wrote down it had to be Multiplayer.
Here is what I came up with.
You (and a friend) are yaks with steroid addictions, and must out-do their opponent by having the most destructive roid-rage.

Controls: listed in game.

It was a fun competition, and we said we’d need to do another retarded contest again sometime.

Tags: ,

1 comment


Making a game out of progress does not help progress on making games.

Posted by Overkill on at 12:11 am under Uncategorized

Yeah, so, a couple posts ago, I mentioned Gamagame (The Game Making Game), which was supposed to be a fun way to keep tabs on what sort of progress I have left.

Unfortunately, it eventually got in the way of real progress for making games, along with school and the paid webwork I was finishing up.

So my idea to help me more efficiently make work on games eventually ended up with me become much, much, less effecient, as I got horrible horrible ideas to make a twitter app instead of making games like I was supposed to.

And even before I was obsessed with making a webapp for my progress tracking, the premise of the progress game was a bad one. It was penalizing me for not getting work done, which is fair, but it was based on “progress points” allocated earlier in the week. The thing is, later, I might realize one of the tasks requires a lot more work, and so it can’t be done for a very long time. So those would be wasted points. It didn’t focus on the big picture, so tasks would be arbitrary things, which might not even be relevant to actual game progress.

Anyways, I don’t care to talk about anymore. Gamagame, good bye.

I am going to make progress through traditional methods. Well-crafted design documents, implementation requirement documentation, and to-do lists. Prepare for further announcements, as I discuss recent game development.

Tags: ,

No comments (make one!)